1. About RFSU
RFSU’s purpose is to drive and mobilise for change towards sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), choice and pleasure. Our priority areas within SRHR are access to safe abortion, access to sexuality education and sexuality and non-discrimination. RFSU aims to
strengthen international legal, political and financial support for SRHR, and contributes to civil society agency on SRHR, by partnering with other civil society actors and supporting progressive civil society voices in low- and middle-income countries. RFSU cooperates with approximately 40 civil society organisation in 20 different countries worldwide.
2. Background to the project
RFSU is from 2018 implementing a new results framework mainly with funding from Sida/Civsam up to 2022. Today, in 2020, we see the need to take stock and do a mid-term analysis on the implementation of two out of our four strategies (empowerment and
mobilisation). These strategies are key in our Theory of Change but are at the same time seen as underrepresented in the annual reporting. The deepened strategic understanding will further play into an ongoing process at RFSU where the organization is elaborating a new Future Strategy for RFSU 2022-2033. In that process, the need for RFSU to contribute more to mobilisation and empowerment has been
identified, as a means but also as an end in itself. In the upcoming Future Strategy for RFSU, integration of intersectional feminist perspectives on SRHR is prioritized and we therefore wish the analysis and material collection in the study described below to be conducted from a feminist intersectional perspective.
3. Aim, questions and scope of the study
3.1 Aims of the study
Implementation of strategies:
- Get a deeper understanding of the methods partners are using when implementing the strategies, and lessons learned so far, half way into the programme period.
Perspective of rights- and stakeholders:
- Listen to and document the perspectives of rights- and stakeholders being part of the projects. In particular, this documentation would seek to capture the perspectives of rights-holders who tend to be less well represented within the power structures of the partner organisations.
Development of RFSU international strategy:
- RFSU wish to increase our understanding and conceptualisation of partners use of the strategies empowerment and mobilisation and how these strategies interrelate with the other two strategies, policy advocacy and addressing attitudes, norms and stigma
- RFSU wish to increase our understanding of partners to RFSUs use of intersectional feminist perspectives
3.2 Questions guiding the study
Research questions related to: Implementation of strategies
- What is the scope of work within each strategy?
- What are the methods used by partners in each strategy?
- What are the lessons learned so far of the strategies/methods used according to the partner organisations?
- Do the methods take the different needs and challenges of the rights-holders into account when working towards the set goal within the strategies? If yes, how?
- How do the partner organizations ensure that treatment and involvement of the rights holders, as well as output from the project, is not biased due to set norms/ structures connected to the different rights-holders?
- What can RFSU do to improve our support to PO and our own work?
Research questions related to: Perspectives of right- and stakeholders
- According to rights-holders, what lessons have been learned so far in connection to the project?
- Has this new knowledge/ insights led to any changes in the project or for the target group?
- How do the different rights holders perceive the project´s sensitivity to their situation, goals and needs?
- How do those identified as key stakeholders in (RFSUs outcome mapping) perceive the chosen methodologies in relation to the expected outcome within the strategies of interest?
3.3 Informants and scope of the study
Scope of the study:
- The study will be limited to ongoing projects conducted by RFSUs partner organizations under the strategies i) Mobilization and ii) Empowerment.
- The number of partners and projects to be included in the study is for the consultant to propose in the application.
The informants of the study will be:
- Staff from RFSU:s partner organizations
- Staff from RFSU
- The rights holders of the projects of interest
- The stakeholders involved in the projects of interest
4. Budget/ price
- RFSU offer 400 000 SEK (VAT included)
The final product is expected to be an interview based study following the aims and questions described in section 3.1 and 3.2. The findings are expected to be presented as:
- a written report back to each participating partner organization and if wanted by the partners, as a digital meeting to discuss the findings.
- a written consolidated report to RFSU
- a shorter presentation of the findings making the information and analysis accessible for others
- a workshop for RFSU staff with the aim of drawing conclusions from the findings of the report on how to improve our support to our partner organizations
6. Profile of the consultant
The consultant is expected to have solid and documented knowledge and experience of:
- Professional report writing for government, academia, civil society and/ or public institution
- Designing and conducting interviews as method for material collection and extensive experience in qualitative research methods, including qualitative interviewing, observation and text analysis
- Designing and conducting research from a femnist intersectional perspective.
- Working freely in speech and writing in English and Spanish with a good set of communication skills, especially across different countries and cultures
- Significant experience of civil society and movement-building within the development sector
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles of a human rights-based approach and experience and knowledge of ethical codes in relation to conducting studies.
- Experience of the sexual and reproductive health and rights sector
- The consultant is also expected to have a relevant research-based advanced degree or membership in an appropriate professional body with a code of practice governing such research.
The consultants mission will be from November 2020 to February 2021
8. Application for the consultancy
The tender should include:
- a detailed technical offer explaining your understanding of the consultancy, method, tools and design of the assignment as well as operationalization of the research questions
- a project timeline
- Budget including price per hour and total price
- Full contact details of at least two references from among recent clients
- Curriculum vitae (max. 4 pages highlighting work experience and qualifications relevant to this evaluation).
- CV with references and contact details as well as your proposal are expected to be uploaded no later than 27/10/2020 at jobb.rfsu.se